Col. Michael A. Hrynciw III is the Commander of the 200th RED HORSE Squadron, Ohio Air National Guard, located at Camp Perry, Port Clinton, Ohio. The Squadron provides a self-sufficient mobile engineer and heavy construction capability for geographic combatant commanders and the Governor of Ohio. The Commander is responsible to organize, train, and equip the 410 person unit that is ready to deploy worldwide on short notice and operate in austere environments. In addition, the unit provides a highly-skilled emergency response force to include engineering, power production teams, and first responders such as emergency managers that support federal, state and local emergencies.
Throughout his career, he served in various command, engineering, and operations positions throughout the European, Pacific, and Middle Eastern regions. His previous leadership assignments include Director of Installations and Facilities for Joint Force Headquarters Ohio, deputy commander 200th RED HORSE Squadron, and Commander of the 809th Expeditionary RED HORSE Squadron. He has deployed in support of Operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom, Jump Start, and Iraqi Freedom. Col. Hrynciw became a registered Professional Engineer in the state of Ohio in 2003. Prior to assuming his current position, the Colonel was the Commander of the Civil Engineer Squadron, 180th Fighter Wing, Toledo, Ohio.
1989 Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
1992 Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management, University of Findlay, Findlay, Ohio
1994 Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, University of Toledo, Toledo Ohio
1995 Academy of Military Science, Commissioning Program, McGhee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
1996 Civil Engineer School, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2011 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air Command and Staff College, Air Reserve Command Seminar Program, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 Master of Strategic Studies, United States Army War College, Carlisle, Pa.
- June 1995-June 2007, Engineering Flight Officer-In-Charge, 200th RED HORSE Squadron, Port Clinton, Ohio
- June 2002-October 2002, Detachment Commander, 200th Expeditionary RHS, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan
- February 2005-September 2005, Convoy Commander, 557th Expeditionary RHS, Camp Taji, Iraq
- June 2007-April 2010, Operations Flight OIC, 200th RHS, Port Clinton, Ohio
- April 2010-September 2010, Commander, 809th Expeditionary RHS, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
- September 2010-August 2012, Operations OIC, 200 RHS, Port Clinton, Ohio
- August 2012-August 2013, Operations Flight Commander, 200th RHS, Port Clinton, Ohio
- August 2013-January 2014, Deputy Commander, 200th RHS, Port Clinton, Ohio
- January 2014-July 2015, Director of Installations and Facilities, Joint Force Headquarters, Columbus, Ohio
- July 2015-June 2016, Graduate Student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
- July 2016-December 2018, Commander, 180th Civil Engineer Squadron, Toledo, Ohio
- January 2019-Present, Commander, 200th RED HORSE Squadron, Port Clinton, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with bronze oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Major General Greg Wayt Visionary Leadership Award, 2015, Ohio National Guard
Second Lieutenant of the Year Award, 1996, Ohio National Guard
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS:
National Guard Association of the United States
Ohio National Guard Association, Life Member
Air National Guard Civil Engineer Association, Life Member
Army War College Foundation, Life Member
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #2497, Life Member
Professional Engineer, Ohio
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 15, 1995
First Lieutenant June 15, 1997
Captain Oct. 22, 1999
Major Oct. 22, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 22, 2013
Colonel Dec.18, 2018
(Current as of January 2019)